Saturday, January 9, 2010

BATTLE OF THE BOOKS




S. P. Huntington, in his oft quoted book The Clash of Civilizations, discussed at some length the potential clash of civilizations between Muslims and the rest of the world.

Recent acts of terrorism and the response of increased security at airports renews the discussion. In particular terrorist acts are typically ascribed to what, for want of a better term, I will call "Militant Muslim Jehadist". By this I refer to those prepared to undertake certain death in order to kill others who do not share their belief. This is not to imply that all terrorist acts committed by Arabs or Muslims fall into this definition, as some may be motivated by politics rather than religion.

I focus attention on those who are indeed motivated primarily by religious conviction.
My argument is that in undertaking an assignment that is certain to end in their death they must believe that they will find a reward in paradise or heaven that is more to be desired than continuing with their life.

Many Muslims have disassociated themselves with that view, do not support militant Jehads or terrorist acts, and sometimes assert that it is contrary to the Qur'an and the religion. What I do not find is any assertion that there is no heaven and there is no paradise beyond death. Why is that?

I suggest that it is because the Qur'an is full of references to paradise or heaven.

Similarly I do not find criticisms of militant jehad from the Western world in terms that clearly say "there is no reward, there is no heaven and there is no paradise".
Why is that? I do find criticism in terms of "you will not be rewarded with virgins" or "you will not qualify for paradise".

Note in particular that both sides seem to accept the existence of a heaven or paradise. They differ as to what life in paradise will hold and what qualifications are necessary for admission.

Now for my main point.
On one side we have those who say, "I know there is a paradise and what life there will be like because it is written in my holy book the Qur'an".

On the other side we have those who say, "I know there is a heaven and what life there will be like because it is written in my holy book The Bible".

It seems that life and death actions have been taken in the past, are being taken now, and are likely to continue to be taken in the future based primarily on which book you choose to believe and on how you interpret what you read in that book.

That, to me, is inexplicable.

No comments:

Post a Comment