Wednesday, May 19, 2010

CONSERVATIVES ON FREE TRADE #1

Sent: April 30, 2010 11:46 PM
To: Trost, Bradley - M.P.
Subject: Question re free trade

April 30, 2010

Question re free trade

Trost.B@parl.gc.ca

Dear Mr. Trost,

I read with great interest your "Free Trade for Columbia" in today's
Financial Post.
http://www.financialpost.com/opinion/story.html?id=2968336

Of course everyone is for free trade. Well not quite. Everyone is for
"free trade except for X,Y,Z..."

I'm more of a conservative than your party so naturally I agree with
your stance and with your article.

BUT, one thing puzzles me.
You say
"Free trade in agriculture will also allow the poor and other consumers
to purchase foodstuffs at lower prices because tariffs on Canadian
wheat, barley, lentils, peas and other crops will disappear. Thousands
of small Colombian bakeries will now have the option to buy Canadian
flour at the lowest possible price, making food more affordable for
all."

I was under the impression that your party was for ""free trade except
for X,Y,and agricultural products...".

Please clarify for me exactly what your party's policy is with respect
to trade in agricultural products.

Thanks for your attention,
Daniel McDonald

NOTE BELOW THE FOLLOW UP. THE LESSON IS THAT ON THIS SUBJECTS OUR PARLIAMENTARIANS ARE UNWILLING TO BE STRAIGHTFORWARD.
Subject:
RE: Question re free trade
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2010 15:58:52 -0400
From:


Dear Mr. McDonald,

Thank you for your e-mail message. Your comments concerning Mr. Trost's OpEd in the Financial Post have been forwarded to his attention.

Due to the high volume of correspondence received, only constituents of Saskatoon-Humboldt will receive a further response.

Sincerely,

Vikki Ruby
Assistant to Brad Trost, MP
Saskatoon--Humboldt
113 Justice Building
House of Commons
Ottawa, ON K1A 0A6

May 19, 2010

request reference conservative policy

Trost.B@parl.gc.ca

Dear Mr. Trost,

Your assistant, Vikki Ruby, has indicated that you will not respond further to my query regarding the conservative stance on free trade.

I feel disappointed.

Here I am doing my best to promote the Conservative Party, even to the extent of posting on my blog. You are frequently quoted in the press as being an MP well informed and an advocate of free trade.

My simple query was:
"Please clarify for me exactly what your party's policy is with respect to trade in agricultural products."

Surely the Conservatives have a policy and it would be easy for you to direct me to it.
I have tried the Conservative web site
http://www.conservative.ca/
It is not very helpful. Without a search capability I cannot find any reference to trade policy.

As is my policy I post my searches for information on my blog, along with the responses.
http://dlmblogmissn.blogspot.com/
Regards,
Daniel McDonald

http://dlmblogmissn.blogspot.com/

Subject:
FW: request reference conservative policy
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2010 14:18:43 -0400
From:

CC:

Dear Mr. McDonald,

Thank you for your e-mail message. Due to the high volume of correspondance received, Mr. Trost must direct his attention to addressing the inquiries and concerns of his constituents.

However, we have forwarded your email to your Member of Parliament, Randy Kamp, for his consideration and response.

Sincerely,

Vikki Ruby
Assistant to Brad Trost, MP
Saskatoon--Humboldt
House of Commons
Ottawa, ON K1A 0A6

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mr. McDonald,

    Thank you for your e-mail message. Your comments concerning Mr. Trost's OpEd in the Financial Post have been forwarded to his attention.

    Due to the high volume of correspondence received, only constituents of Saskatoon-Humboldt will receive a further response.

    Sincerely,

    Vikki Ruby
    Assistant to Brad Trost, MP
    Saskatoon--Humboldt
    113 Justice Building
    House of Commons
    Ottawa, ON K1A 0A6

    ReplyDelete